Why Choose Us?
- You want 5 star dentistry
- You want a dentist that listens
- You want a dentist that cares
- You want world class expertise
- You want the best results
Periodontics in Reading
Periodontitis is the name given to gum disease in its more advanced form. Around 10-15% of adults are at risk of developing periodontitis, and if left untreated the disease can result in tooth loss, as well as leading to an increased risk of other health problems such as strokes and heart attacks.
If you suffer from one or more of the following symptoms, we strongly recommend that you visit Woodborough House Dental Practice for a periodontal examination and treatment as soon as possible:
- Red, bleeding or swollen gums
- Receding gums
- Periodontal pockets (gaps left when the gums start to ‘pull away’ from the teeth
- Bone loss in the jaw
- Gingivitis (inflammation of the gums)
- Peri-implantitis (inflammation of the hard and soft tissue surrounding dental implants)
- Persistent halitosis or an unpleasant taste in the mouth
- Teeth that feel loose
- Increase in the size of the gums
You should also have regular periodontal checks if you are a smoker, as smoking greatly increases the risk of periodontitis.
How is periodontitis treated?
Here at Woodborough House Dental Practice, we pride ourselves on our efficiency and gentle expertise when it comes to dealing with oral hygiene and periodontitis. One of our most effective treatments for periodontitis is root planing.
What is root planing?
Root planing involves a deep scaling treatment that cleans parts of the teeth that are impossible to reach with a toothbrush, below the gumline. It cleans out the periodontal pockets and removes tartar and plaque from the roots of the teeth. After root planing, the pockets will start to shrink, so that the gum sits closer to the tooth, helping to prevent further bone loss.
In order to be fully effective, root planing will probably need to be repeated on a regular basis and it is important that after the procedure, you are especially careful about cleaning your teeth above the gumline.
Woodborough House Dental Practice’s Dr. Kuljeet Mehta is registered as a Specialist in Periodontics by the General Dental Council and throughout his career he has helped thousands of patients achieve beautiful, healthy smiles.